Thursday, January 29, 2009

"i am sick" zine finished!

/\ also a drawing inspired by sky gardens, dante's hell, and the letter w
I made a zine last week and finally got it printed today! I don't know why I always end up making these things in a whirlwind flurry - this took me an evening and a half, and it came out pretty naturally. The naturalness might be due to being feverish and wonky the whole time I tremulously held that gluestick, but I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact I stopped when I felt better enough to leave the house, which left me with exactly 16 pages of ranting and diagrams and love songs to lozenges.

I'm also partway started the next issue of Underwater Cigarettes, which might get a name change along the way, but it's still looking to be the same sort of structure, that is crazy pen drawings leaking onto stream of consciousness writing and so forth. I would give my teeth for a typewriter or a printer! But I would also settle for giving away my jaw. I have killer TMJ right now. Not that anyone cares, but it hurrrrrts. :(

Okay, okay... montreal art. I saw a movie at Articule last Saturday called La Grande Bouffe. Oh my goodness it was fabulous!!!! It was about these four frenchmen who decide to eat themselves to death, which naturally requires hiring prostitutes to notch up the decadence. We're talking feast after glorious feast after ridiculously mindblowingly rich and rare feast, with greasy roasts and vats full of "puree" and always always these strange over-iced gateauxs. Oh, and it was funny as well. And there was a love story. And the funniest bits were so horrible. It won at Cannes in the 70s and I'm of course recommending it from the tippiest bits of my curling-in-horror toes.

I suppose the important bit is that Articule needs a new floor though. It really is the sweetest little artist-run center that ever existed 4 minutes away from my house. I hope they make enough to replace it, and if they continue these events with the movies and vegan squash soup + toasty almonds on top (and grilled cheese that I couldn't eat but smelled nice) I think they will.

No comments: